Search This Blog

Sunday, January 9, 2011

Recipe for My Nutso Ball Soup

I'd wondered for a while if I could make something like matzoh ball soup using crackers instead of matzoh. Usually I buy the matzoh ball soup mix but it's a little pricey. So, today I woke up craving matzoh ball soup for breakfast and I decided to try it. I 'd just been to the Asian market and had beautiful fresh veggies on hand so I couldn't resist taking it in that direction. It worked great and was so luscious! So here's how you can make your own.


Ingredients:

1 carton chicken or veggie broth
1/2 stack of saltines (unsalted would've worked better, maybe even the whole wheat kind)
1 egg
sliced fresh mushrooms, baby bok choy - or whatever veggies you prefer
1 tbsp fresh ground ginger, or maybe 1/2 tsp powdered ginger, or leave it out all together, your choice


Crush the crackers in a large bowl. They don't need to be pulverized, just pretty well broken apart. Add the egg and mix it well. Wait about 10 min. to let the egg soak into the cracker crumbs. Then start heating up the broth. Bring it to a boil. Form the cracker stuff into balls - I made mine into 6 spoon size balls but you could make them bigger or smaller if you want. They don't expand that much so make them about the size you want them to be in the end. Lower the heat a little and let it simmer for 10 min. Uncover add the veggies and ginger and let it simmer for about 10 min more. If you're adding any leafy stuff, wait longer and add that just before serving, like I put in the sliced crispy part of the bok choy first then added the leafy part when it was almost finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment